Walking can be a very safe way to exercise especially if you follow these 10 rules.
- Don’t have your headphones so loud that you can’t hear a car, bike or warning from other people near you.
- Distracted waking due to texting, phone conversations or mobile gaming is dangerous. Tripping hazards or traffic dangers exist you might not observe. Try to keep your phone in your pocket.
- Make sure you are well hydrated. If you are walking in the heat you could suffer from heat stroke or dehydration. If you are with a friend and they are overheated encourage them to stop and take them to a cool location.
- Street safety may be a concern. If you see someone suspicious, be prepared to change your direction to avoid them.
- Stretch and warm up before beginning your walk. It’s a great way to avoid injury.
- Make sure you have good walking shoes that fit well. Shoes too big or too small can injure your feet and put you out of commission and stop you from being able to exercise.
- If you have heart disease or blood sugar challenges always walk with a friend or family member, in case of health emergencies.
- Carry a cellphone in your pocket in case of any emergency.
- Wear bright colors when walking in the daytime or reflective attire when walking in the evening. Drivers are often not expecting walkers to be out after dark, give them every chance to see them.
- Walk facing traffic, if there is no sidewalk, choose the side where you are facing oncoming traffic. This may be confusing because the opposite rule is true for cyclist, who cycle in the same direction as the traffic flow.
Remember to stay safe walking, follow these rules of the road and you’ll be ready for Sista Strut. #sistastrutjax
Dr. Fitness (text) 904-236-5858